In 1940, a group of German Jewish refugees settled in Cleveland and formed a congregation named Shaarey Tikvah—Gates of Hope. After several moves, the congregation settled in a "streetcar barn" at Superior Avenue and East 123rd Street. This home was dedicated in May 1942.
As the congregation's membership grew, so did the need for a full-time rabbi. Dr. Enoch H. Kronheim, z"l, became the congregation's first full-time rabbi in January 1946. Two years later, the first confirmation exercises, with two confirmands, were held.
In October 1950, the congregation purchased the Heights Presbyterian Church at Mayfield and Pryer roads in Cleveland Heights and changed its name to the Mayfield Temple. It became a member of the United Synagogues of America in 1957. Jacob Shtull, z"l, was installed as Rabbi in 1958. In 1959, the congregation inaugurated its first religious school.
Mayfield Temple and Hillcrest Synagogue B'nai Israel merged in 1970 and moved into their building on Lander Road in Mayfield Heights. Again, its name changed, this time to Mayfield Hillcrest Synagogue, with the Hebrew name Shaarey Tikvah - B'nai Israel.
The congregation’s latest move—after much discussion—came in 1986. Dedicating its current building on Fairmount Boulevard, it became Congregation Shaarey Tikvah, the first Conservative congregation in Beachwood.
After nearly 35 years of dedicated service to the congregation, Rabbi Shtull, z"l, retired in 1992 and Rabbi Gary Robuck was selected as the congregation's spiritual leader. Under his leadership, Congregation Shaarey Tikvah focused on strengthening Shabbat and holiday services and developed a strategic planning process to carry us into the 21st century.
In 2003, the building on Fairmount Boulevard underwent major construction to add a warm and beautiful Beit Tefilah and a welcoming atrium. In addition, major renovations were made to our sanctuary, office and school wings, and social hall.
Following Rabbi Robuck's decision to accept a pulpit in Sydney, Australia, in 2003, the congregation hired Rabbi Edward C. Bernstein. He helped to initiate several innovative programs at Congregation Shaarey Tikvah, including Synaplex, East Side Veggies and an Adult B'nai Mitzvah program.
In 2011, following Rabbi Bernstein's resignation, we hired Rabbi David Kosak as our new spiritual leader, under whose leadership we had begun exciting efforts such as the MyArk educational youth program. Rabbi Kosak resigned in June, 2015 to take a position at Neveh Shalom in Portland, OR. Rabbi Edward J. Sukol (Rabbi Eddie) is served as our Interim Rabbi from July 2015 to June 2016 when we welcomed Rabbi Scott B. Roland.