Kol Israel’s Holocaust Education Program at Shaarey Tikvah
Face to Face is an original Holocaust educational program, for public and private middle and high school students in Northeast Ohio. It provides an opportunity for students to learn about the Holocaust and to apply its lessons to their own corner of the world.
- Inspiring three-hour field trip for middle and high school students
- Takes place at Congregation Shaarey Tikvah in Beachwood, Ohio
- Students come “face-to-face” with a Holocaust survivor, liberator, or child of survivors
- Students have the opportunity to visit a synagogue and learn about Judaism, many for the first time
- More than 50,000 students have participated since 1994
- Developmentally appropriate Holocaust learning experience
- Students explore the consequences of prejudice, hate, and apathy
- Teaches tolerance, encourages moral development, and fosters a personal sense of responsibility
- First-hand testimony is more effective than only videos or books
- Unique forum for survivors to tell their stories
- Teachers use the Face to Face field trip as a supplement to History, English, Art, and Religion classes
- Program works well in conjunction with a Holocaust unit
- Fits in well with Ohio Department of Education standards
To learn more about this program, to arrange a visit, or to support Face to Face as a donor, speaker or volunteer, please contact the program’s director, Louise Freilich, at 216-765-8300 x140 or email@example.com.