At Congregation Shaarey Tikvah, we take seriously the teaching of Pirkei Avot (Sayings of the Fathers) that the world rests on three things: study, prayer, and acts of lovingkindness. Within our community, we care for each other in many ways, including:
- Preparing and delivering meals to families in mourning or after the arrival of a new baby
- Providing rides to synagogue or other important appointments
- Visiting the homebound or those in nursing home
- Hosting a Shabbat or holiday meal
- Shopping for groceries for those who can’t get out
We also work to extend our circle of caring and justice to make a difference in the lives of marginalized members of our wider community in Greater Cleveland. Many of our members are involved in this work, both professionally and as volunteers. As a congregation, we also undertake a number of projects each year; these have included:
- Food collection and donations to the Hebrew Shelter Home, Cleveland Food Bank, and Kosher Food Pantry
- Collecting pots and pans, dishes, school supplies and bicycles for refugees.
- Keeping a local Little Free Library stocked with children’s books
- Collecting toiletries and other supplies for the Mount Pleasant community
- Making and delivering holiday treats to local first responders
- Collecting coats, hats, gloves and other warm clothing for the homeless
We welcome participants as well as ideas for future projects. If interested, contact Martha Sivertson.